Monday, April 16, 2012

Are We Bad Neighbours?

So, I've always considered myself nice, in general.  I'm sure almost every person thinks that deep down.  But my mother always taught me to be nice to everyone, or else they'll hate you or something (fact of life: some people will hate you anyway.  Thanks for the update on that one, maam.).  But (questionable) thoughts like that come attached with not only the basics, but a complicated system of looking down on others who talk about people, while simultaneously attempting to not look down on them and also perhaps doing some talking yourself.  Which is wrong, right?  Hypocritical.  Not that I can spell that word to save my life, thank you spell check.  I think the whole system was perhaps developed by my mother - having the best of intentions whilst growing up in an area that does not shut up about other people's business.

Now, there are two things here that worry me.

The first would be....... am I really becoming like my mother???  Ohnoes to the max. Can I hash-tag here?  If I can, that would be epic, because #OhNoes deserves one at this point.  I'm horrified.  I know everyone does it.  But does that mean that we're all just warped reflections of someone else?  Enjoy that abstract thought while I continue to freak out.

The second thing that worries me would be the amount of time my roommate and myself talk about our neighbours.  Not that we talk about them every day or anything, but we're not supposed to talk about them at all (right?).  Which in itself confuses me, because is it more polite to talk about someone or pretend they don't exist entirely?  Not sure.  But anyway, it's bad, like, on one side we have some college boys, and we hardly ever see them (though apparently they passed by and did not help get our couch up three flights of stairs, despite the fact that they're in police foundations or some shit and have gotta be ripped as all hell) so it's exciting if we do, because we're poor and have no life.  So we take smoke breaks on our balcony in hopes that something interesting will happen.  We used to bitch about the people downstairs all the time too, but I'm pretty sure they got evicted.  If not, they finally moved.  Hurray!  *NOTE* If you have a sub-woofer, and live in an apartment, you are stupid.  If I know your child's name from you yelling, you are too loud.  And if I can hear doors slammed off their hinges at any given time of day, you need to calm the fuck down.*  The other people beside are AWESOME.  Quiet, paranoid, and virtually non-existent.  Except when they chop up dindin (holy crap they must eat nothing but vegetables).  And apparently one "Ninja-ed out of the door," which brings up lots of fun images for me, I dunno about you.

But basically, I think we're being petty, but am so bored that I do it anyway?  Why is that a question?  Not sure.  I guess I'm looking for someone to lay it out for me, but that's not gonna happen.  Is being petty like that horrible?  We're not doing anything wrong, exactly.  It's just not nice.

And on another note, why the hell am I so worried about being nice?  THE WORLD ISN'T NICE.  (That's what Blade said, anyway.)  But really, most people aren't very polite, and yet I have a complex about it.  Oh, I remember why now.  THANKS MUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment